- Search function is about the same.
- The TiVo will store 30 min of live TV and will erase the time from the end, keeping a full 30 min. With the DVR on normal cable, it will keep 15 min. After 15 min it will erase the 15 min and start over again.
- With the TiVo, you can set a search for a name and if it found it a show description, it would record the show automatically.
- The guide on the TiVo would have about 2 - 3 weeks available. The DVR has about 1 week (so far, looks it may still be downloading).
- With the DVR, no phone jack is required. The guide come from the cable.
- With the DVR, when you delete a show, it is gone. With a software update a while back, the TiVo would place the deleted show in a trash folder and when needed delete the show.
- With the DVR it does show the percent of space you have left. (Something I like.)
TiVo makes a good system and is included Direct TV systems (I think), which I do not have. I did not want to fork out any more money than a I had. At this point I am saving money.